Tuesday, June 10, 2014

PTT: Mastering Email Etiquette

Professional Tip Tuesday
If I were to tell you my skills, I would not include efficient emailer to the list. And email communication can be a very important part of the workday. Most of the time I do alright. But I am always over-thinking: How can I make this professional, but friendly? How can I make this clear and concise, without being short and rude?

Especially as a female, email etiquette can be tricky. Part of our value in the workplace is our compassionate communication style. But how can we balance that with effective emailing?

This article, 10 Rules of Email Etiquette Every Woman Should Follow, offers all sorts of good advice for keeping our communication in check.

My favorite tips are 5 and 6 - two things I always struggle with. Thank yous and apologies.. I am always apt to throw a few of those in an email just for good measure! During my first pass at proofreading an email, I'll find 2-3 "Thanks!" scattered throughout the message for no reason whatsoever.

These tips are a great way to make your emails effective, while still letting your personality come through :)

What are your tips for composing a good email? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment