Tuesday, July 9, 2013

PTT: Emailing Out New Contact Info

Professional Tip Tuesday

Emailing your network to let them know of updated contact information.

I did it! I changed my email address. But after doing so, I had way too many questions about the best way to send a quick email to my network (I tend to over think things a bit..). I spent at least an hour trying to craft the perfect short note letting everyone know about my new email address. Then I finally got smart and reached out to a former advisor for some help..

So this week's Professional Tip Tuesday is how to write a quick note to inform your network of your changing contact information! 

And a special shout out to Amanda for the helpful information :)

I have already sort of touched on this in the long-winded post about Keeping In Touch but, I thought a simpler post on the changing contact Info could be beneficial as well!

Below is a "template" idea for what you might say in your email. Get creative

1) Opener - What's changing? When is it changing? Why is it changing? 
  • "One week from today I will be moving to city to begin my career at company. I start my position with company as on start date as a position title."

2) Throw in a little gratitude.

  • "I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had throughout college and I am excited for this new adventure."

3) Get down to business. 
  • "My new mailing address will be: 
            Name
            Street Address
            City, State, Zip

            My new personal email will be: 
            email@domain.com
I will no longer be using my old email (the email I used today), oldemail@domain.com. Please add my new address to your contact list and delete the old one."
4) Add a little personality. 
  • "Also I recently started a blog about my post-graduation adventures and my journey as a young professional. If you are interested in following me through my blog, here is the website: http://optimisticallyanna.blogspot.com."
  • **In this part, give the reader a little something that ties it all together. My goal with including my blog was to stand out. This is your chance to give them something memorable or engaging that will encourage them to stay connected to you. 
5) The closer.
  • "Thank you for your continued support and please stay in touch!
Warmly, 
Anna" 
So that is the format I used - based on my supervisor's helpful advice. There probably isn't a right or wrong way to do it so play around and just make sure to add your own personal pizazz! Since it's a mass email, you want to make it feel as personal as possible.

I think signatures are tough too. I tried to keep it extra friendly with the "Warmly, Anna". How do you personalize a professional email? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Anna! Helpful advice I will certainly need in a year or so. :)

    ReplyDelete