Tuesday, February 18, 2014

PTT: Save Money & Stay Healthy While Traveling

Professional Tip Tuesday
I have a confession to make. Last Thursday, I was feeling discouraged by the amount of money I have had spent on food during my recent travels. So I took it as a challenge. I decided I didn't want to spend more than $5 on dinner that night.

This challenge is how I hit an all time low. 
My only
'cooking appliance'

It was pouring rain, so my plan to run down to the cute cafe down the street was a no-go. And let me tell you, there is no way to do room service on $5. So I walked down to the hotel gift shop and saw the answer to my problems - a Cup of Noodles.

Cup of Noodles = Desperation at it's finest. But it gets even worse. 

I threw some water in the little single-cup coffee brewer in my hotel room. Following the "Cooking Directions", I filled Styrofoam cup with the hot water. ...I am not making that up. The 3-steps to making the Cup of Noodles are seriously titled 'Cooking Directions' on the package.


So here's where it gets bad: After my gourmet meal was ready, I realized I did not have a fork. Uh oh. Time to get creative...  
Those 'chopsticks' are actually coffee stirrers - not my proudest moment.
While I am partially impressed by my thriftiness, that was a one-time only ordeal. So this week's Professional Tip Tuesday is what I did differently this week and how it helped me save money and be healthier...

1. I packed a water bottle. 
- I realized I do not drink nearly enough water when I am traveling. This time, I saved room for my water bottle so I would be sure to stay hydrated. Especially when traveling, drinking plenty of water will help keep you feeling healthy.

2. I found food that travels well.
I remembered plastic silverware this time too!
- I stopped by the grocery store and got a little creative before my flight on Monday (pictured below). I almost forgot how delicious an apple and peanut butter can be - these little peanut butter cups are so convenient! Also this oatmeal with flax seed is tasty and filling!
**A grocery store near your hotel is a lifesaver.

3. I read: "Don't be tempted by the menu"
- It's inevitable. That food stash won't be enough and I will have to eat out. I loved the advice in this US News article: Order something standard, like a sandwich or a salad without even opening the menu. ..But don't forget to treat yourself every now and then! :)

So how do you stay healthy on the road? Comment below!

1 comment: