Tuesday, August 13, 2013

PTT: An Open Forum on Work-Life Balance

My mom has a teenager and a postgrad.
The amount she does in a day is impressive.
Professional Tip Tuesday: 

Work-life balance is a huge topic right now. Especially for women because of all that ends up falling on their plates!

As a girl that has no responsibilities other than my job and my social calendar, this post is in honor of all those workin' mamas out there! I have gained an incredible amount of respect for all you do since I started my 40+ hours a week.

How my dear mother worked a full-time job, shopped for groceries, ran errands, and appeased the wants and wishes of two needy daughters - I don't know. She's a miracle worker, that's for sure.

Today's Professional Tip Tuesday short and sweet. I am doing it a little differently because I want to do some more research before I offer up any particular advice. But the topic is:

How to take control of your workday and embracing your personal time.

This is something I find really interesting. I will definitely post more on it soon. For now I just wanted to share this article posted on Inc.com that got me thinking about the subject. It's called "How to Work Less and Do More" and it's even written from the perspective of a female CEO!

It reminded me that "work-life balance" is a buzzword in our culture and we are figuring out what it all means slowly but surely. I am looking forward to seeing what research and studies comes out of this topic. How are we going to create that sense of balance? How do we get the most out of work and enjoy our personal lives?

This article is a quick read and is good for anyone - not just the ladies out there. The takeaway is: don't let other people run your workday! For example, I love the idea of only checking your email 2-3 times to try and keep other people from eating up your productivity. With emails coming at you nonstop, it's so easy for that to happen!

I wanted to open this week up to you all.. How do you best manage your daily tasks and still take advantage of personal time? Comment below with any feedback you have.

Speaking on behalf of my mom - I'd say she manages a busy workday with a positive attitude and at least one pot of coffee :) 

2 comments:

  1. It's an extremely difficult thing to do, but I encourage colleagues and students alike to make sure that they take time for themselves to recharge. Now, if I could only practice what I preach. . .

    ReplyDelete