Thursday, June 20, 2013

My 2 Cents on Banking

One of the most overwhelming tasks for me as I prepare for my move is choosing a new bank. How do you know which bank and what type of account is best? Especially in this transition from college to the real world. On a good day my college account had about $30 max. Hopefully I will have a little more to my name with a big girl paycheck. But what does that mean for banking?

This is way over my head. The minute I begin reading what a bank has to offer, I somehow end up with a new tab open to Facebook scanning the latest updates on there instead. But I found some good resources that have really helped me through this tough time.

Banking isn't my thing.
The most common piece of advice I have found is.. think about how you bank! 
Thinking about your personal banking style helps you figure out which features would be most beneficial for you. For example, as much as I try and avoid ATM fees - I have been known to opt for convenience. So it could be a good idea for me to look for a bank that charges less fees or has ATM's all over.

This article on Smart Money (linked here) helps you think through some of your typical banking habits.

Another big thing to consider when looking into banks - do you want a local bank or a nationwide bank? This will be dependent on your specific needs. Below you will see some general thoughts on local vs. national banks.

  • Local Banks - more personal banking, easier to talk through charges or issues with your account, close to home
  • National Banks - ATM's all over, more user friendly online banking, might be able to process transactions throughout the day (even as late as 8 p.m. for some banks!)
**To learn more on local banks vs. national banks click here for an article on www.bankrate.com.


I hit gold with findabetterbank.com - it allows you to compare banks in your area.
Just type in your zip code and it walks you through your needs, wants, and don't cares in a future bank. After you go through some simple questions, it provides you with a list of banks. It tells you how closely they match what you are looking for and gives you more information on the different types of accounts they offer.

Bankrate.com allows you to compare banks as well but I didn't try that website. Both FindaBetterBank and BankRate also have articles that are helpful in understanding the confusing stuff. One more awesome resource: I found sites like checkingoption.com that compares the big banks out there. And once you have it narrowed down, type "Bank X vs. Bank Y" into the search bar and see what comes up for one last check!

So what advice do you have for finding a new bank as a recent grad? Any features you think are especially important for personal accounts? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Find a bank with the SHAZAM logo on the back of their debit cards. They are accepted nationwide, almost always without bank fees. however the owner of the ATM might charge.
    Also... Go into ANY supermarket or walmart etc. and buy a pack of gum or a Pen. Click the cash back button. Even if you threw the gum away, it is far less expensive than the ATM fee. (and why would you throw the gum away?)
    What requirements do you need to NOT pay a monthly fee. At Wells Fargo, i have to make 10 debit card purchases a month. So, I buy my daily coffee, $1, with my debit card. if i dont do 10 per month, there is a $8 fee. Most banks if you use direct deposit with your pay-check that eliminates the monthly fees too. And look at their ONLINE banking screens. how much do they charge for the convenience of online bill pay? some charge nothing, some have a monthly $10 fee. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete