Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fake It Until You Make It!

Last year at this time, I had just finished the first full week of my summer internship. I was feeling pretty good. I had figured out the office email, gotten a start on my summer projects, and most importantly.. I had found the free coffee :)

But my confidence at work was a huge turn around from a week earlier. Gosh, was I nervous before my start date! I had worked so hard in my classes, but starting an internship felt like the real deal. For the first time I would actually be in the business world. This was testing everything I had been working towards.

My parents both own their own businesses, so I have had very little exposure to a typical office structure. I didn't think about that before. But in that moment, I was wondering if I was even capable of this whole professional thing. What if I wasn't? What would I do?

So the first day came, and I decided the best I could do was try. I can't say it was a positive feeling.. "I'll just give it a try". I really felt like it could have gone either way. I figured every other intern would know exactly how everything worked, while I envisioned making a fool of myself the minute I walked in the door.

I literally repeated in my mind "fake it until you make it" as I drove to the office on my first day. It seems silly but it made the most sense to me. I had already convinced myself that I was at a disadvantage for not having any idea of what I was getting myself into. But if I could just pretend and keep going.. maybe I would learn along the way.

Fast forward to today: I imagine I will have the same feeling in 6 weeks when I start my first big girl job. Despite the fact that I have been in an office, this is a whole new ball game. I think it's normal. Doesn't everyone get the jitters? And with jitters, self-doubt is often quick to follow.

But whatever position you are going into.. they wanted YOU! They hired you. They saw your qualifications, you charmed them in the interview, and now they want you to succeed. That's easy to forget when the nervous feeling seems overwhelming. But it's true.

I think the most important lesson I learned is, you can't go wrong if you fake it until you make it, with a positive attitude and a desire to learn. There is no way to completely fail if you have that in your mind.

I made mistakes last summer. But they were just as much part of the experience as the projects I accomplished. The people around you are there to support you. And if nothing else.. the free coffee will keep you going! :)

What have you done to cure the jitters before the first day? Post your stories below!

No comments:

Post a Comment