Tuesday, August 27, 2013

PTT: Fake It 'Til You Become It!

Professional Tip Tuesday
As a part of my Lazy Sunday afternoon, I decided to indulge in a little couch time. Unfortunately, I recently finished my latest television show binge on Netflix.

...On that subject, I have decided Netflix is best compared to my closet. I have so many clothes, yet I feel like I never have anything to wear. And similarly, there are so many options on Netflix, yet I can't ever find anything to watch.

But on this particular day, my "Top 10 for Anna"on Netflix suggested I check out "Ted Talks: Life Hacks". I love TED Talks! So I clicked on it.
And now all of my Top 10 are TED Talks.
Today's Professional Tip Tuesday is a little gem I found thanks to that very suggestion. The very first video that played was a 20 minute presentation by Amy Cuddy called: Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are.

In her presentation, Cuddy talks how Power Dynamics are conveyed in nonverbal communication. Humans (and animals) express their power and dominance through their nonverbals.

Let's break it down:
  • Feeling confident and powerful? This person tends to spread out and their nonverbals might be more exaggerated.
  • Feeling insecure or nervous? This person's nonverbals tend to be small and enclosed, taking up very little space.

I don't think these two different power dynamics are mutually exclusive. I can think of scenarios where I have played both roles. Around my friends, I can be as animated as a cartoon character. But in classes I wasn't comfortable in, I might curl up in my desk and stay quiet.

The important part of all of this is Cuddy's findings. Through research she realized, the way you act out these power dynamics will influence the way you feel. She says, you can Fake it Until You Make It! ...Sound familiar? :)
Amy Cuddy says, "Stand like Super Woman"
Photo Credit: Poptech Flickr
If you want to appear confident in a job interview, when presenting a big idea in a meeting, or even just conversing in the break room - mimic the nonverbals of a confident person. Stand up straight, take up more space, and be strong! Cuddy says, "Don't just fake it til you make it. Fake it until you become it!"

So watch that TED Talk (linked above) and if you're still interested in this topic (like I totally am!) read this article from Cuddy on Wired.com.
What characteristics do you notice in people that appear more confident? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment