Tuesday, February 11, 2014

PTT: Load Up on the Rewards!

Here I am, back in beautiful Salt Lake City this week. On my evening flight in last night - I received an unexpected compliment. ...Well I considered it a compliment. The gentleman sitting next to me said, "Hey with all of your organization and use of gadgets, you must travel all the time." Eeek. Like I said in my last post, I am definitely still a frequent-travel-newb.

At least I give off the vibe that I know my stuff!
Morning view from the hotel!

So my latest traveling tip for this week?

Load up on rewards cards! And if you can afford it / feel comfortable - sign up for a credit card to take full advantage of the points. 

I have been debating the 'right' way to do credit cards for a while. It can be so overwhelming! You don't want too many credit cards, but you also need to establish credit too. 

One of my original credit cards is a store visa card. It was a really great idea as I was stocking up on my professional wardrobe. The rewards are great and there aren't any annual fees. But now I feel like it's time to get a credit card that I can get even more out of. 

Since I know I will be traveling quite a bit - I decided to look into airline and hotel rewards cards. After some research.. ding, ding, ding - Southwest was the winner for me.

What to consider when thinking about a rewards credit card: 
1. Be aware of annual fees and charges. 
- Make sure it is actually worth the rewards. You don't want to be surprised by any hefty fees or extreme annual charges. I wouldn't completely rule it out - Southwest does have an annual fee. But the particular rewards I am getting will outweigh that cost.

2. Understand on how your points add up. 
- How much are the points worth? And how many points do you need to even reap the rewards? For Southwest, $1 = 1 point. If I am spending it with Southwest, I get 2 points! And especially since I will be purchasing lots of flights, the actual rewards will hopefully add up quickly. So when considering a card, be sure you know how your points add up. 

3. Consider what rewards you will actually use.
- My first credit card seemed too good to be true with the awesome rewards. But I just don't use the rewards as much as I thought I would. 

What companies are you loyal to when you are traveling? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna! I've been looking into credit cards recently and my mom told me you had a post about that. You've given me a lot to think about, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna! Thanks for the comment. My post today was about credit cards as well.. the two articles in the post are about credit card myths that make them extra scary. Those articles might be helpful too!

      Delete