Tuesday, July 16, 2013

PTT: First Day "Do's"

Professional Tip Tuesday
The past week and a half has been fantastic. I have explored the city, talked to some locals, and (most importantly) relaxed by the pool. One of my proudest accomplishments in my new city is that I can get make it about 8 miles away from my apartment without a GPS!
Britt has definitely benefited from my apartment's pool as well.
But my last real 'summer vacation' is coming to a close. 
I will be a working girl in T-Minus: 2 Days. As much as I really want to enjoy my last few days of freedom, my mind won't stop racing as I think about my first day. So this week's Professional Tip Tuesday is:

The top 5 tips on how to be prepared for the first day of a new job.

1) The Dry-Run. Don't just rely on Google Maps the day of.. Test out the drive to work a couple of days before you start.
  • Especially if you are new to town. Familiarize yourself with the route, be on the lookout for construction or delays, and give yourself less reason to worry on the first day's commute.
2) Do a little digging. What does your company do again?
  • I interviewed and accepted my job offer in November 2012. Doing research before the interview is important - but it's just as crucial to be fresh on your first day. 
  • Also - if you find any recent news articles about the company it can serve as an awesome conversation starter when you begin to meet your coworkers. "Oh you work on the marketing team? I just saw in the newspaper our company was voted number 3 in marketing!"

3) Be ready.. the night before. Pick out your clothes and gather anything you might need. 
What to wear, what to wear?
  • Pick out your outfit and set out everything you need for your first day. This will make the morning a lot less hectic. 
  • **Don't forget: What documents will you need on Day One (i.e. Drivers License, SS Card, a blank check)? If you're not sure, email your company a few days before to clarify.
4) Set two alarms. A little excessive? Nah.  
  • By setting two alarms you are ensuring you won't sleep through the buzzer and wake up in a total panic with no time to spare. Especially for those of us transitioning out of vacation mode. 6:30AM might feel like the middle of the night. 
  • This is also good because you will just sleep better. The safety net of two alarms allows you to rest a little easier knowing you will for sure be awake on time. 
5) Early is always better. Even with the dry run, don't push it. Plan to be at least 10-15 minutes early. 
  • It's never fun to show up late. Especially on the first day. Give yourself plenty of extra time in the morning to get ready and drive to work. 
  • Plus if you are early, maybe you can do a little networking and make a quick connection right away with some of your coworkers.
So those are my top 5 tips to prepare for the first day. What are your go-to strategies on the first day of a new adventure? Comment below with your ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment