Tuesday, July 23, 2013

PTT: First Week Success


Professional Tip Tuesday

I made it through the first day.. and it wasn't too bad! If the 'real world' really consists of an occasional free lunch, more company goodies, and hanging out with your peers - I think I will be just fine. It also doesn't hurt that my start date was a Thursday. There is no better way to ease into the 8-5 grind then with a two-day work week! 

The first two days were just orientation for me. We learned about the company's history, the culture, and received our laptops (score!). But now it's time to think about how to successfully rock the first full week! So this week's Professional Tip Tuesday -


How to make the most of the first week of a new job. 

 Introduce yourself - Just go for it!
  • As a newbie, you have the perfect intro! i.e. "Hi! My name is Anna. I just started last Thursday. How's it going?" 
  • Whenever you get the chance, introduce yourself to people in other departments and different positions. Not only is it helpful to have a better idea of what happens across the company, but it is also beneficial for when you want to further develop your career.
After you make that initial connection - connect! Let the networking begin.
  • Following a quality convo with a colleague, add them on your company's intranet site or on LinkedIn. If you can, include a short message just reminding them of something you talked about. "It was great meeting you today in the break room! Looking forward to working with you at Company!"
Ask LOTS of questions - now is the time!
  • Take advantage of the fact that you are new and everyone is expecting you to have questions. You are introduced to so many great people and resources as you are training for your new position. And that comes with a lot of questions. But keep 'em coming.. The people training you want you to succeed!
These are three of the biggies for me so far.. but it's only Tuesday! I still have three more days in my work week. What tips do you have for a successful first week and first impression as a newbie? Comment with your ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Do more than you're asked to do. The first week at my internship here at ABC30, they only expected me to shadow....so I shadowed, then wrote my own stories and edited them too. It was the perfect way to stand out - they definitely noticed - and it set my entire summer off on a good note. :) Cute photo, Anna, and great advice!

    ReplyDelete