Wednesday, July 3, 2013

KCMO Day 1: Survived.


My initial reaction to this new chapter: anxiety central. 

I don't think I have been that nervous since the first day of freshman year. In fact, it felt a lot like that. Except without the safety net of it being a college town and a college campus.


My thoughts:
-KCMO is far from home. And my lovely college town.
-Apartment buildings are not the same as dorms. My neighbors aren't new to town and they don't care leave their doors open.
-Where's the all-you-can-eat cafeteria?

Also, for the first time ever I was envious of my Chicago friends and their insane driving skills. Usually when I ride with them, I hold on tight as we jet in-and-out of lanes. So all I could think was how useful it would be if I was a more aggressive driver. This Iowa gal isn't used to those 'city drivers'.

But thankfully, I wasn't completely alone. My little sister was my navigator and personal assistant. She helped me move my first load into my new place. As a reward for all of the help, we had a delicious KC barbecue dinner. And we topped that off with some frozen yogurt for dessert.
Thanks for your help, Tessa!
So the move was a little more overwhelming than I expected. But I realized this new chapter isn't just like the first day of college. At this point, I have had four years in the starting gates and I am ready for this adventure. Where's the fun in feeling completely content on day one in a new town?

I had this whole post-grad thing pegged as too easy up until now. It should be a little scary! But I am excited to start my new job, I have friends in KC, and I love what I have seen of my new home. All the pieces are there and I can't wait to see how they fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment