Tuesday, June 24, 2014

PTT: Is being on vacation 24/7 a job? How to avoid burnout.

Professional Tip Tuesday
4 days. 4 days until my first real vacation since I started working last July. Britt and I are heading to a lake in Wisconsin with his family - and I cannot wait to spend some quality time with some of my favorite people!

Between that, and an awesome weekend in Virginia Beach with my family.. it is almost impossible to get back into the workweek. I have been living for the weekends lately, and the weekdays are just dragging on.
Soaking up the beach life in Virginia last weekend.
Burnout is a real thing.
The Mayo Clinic describes it as, "a special type of job stress — a state of physical, emotional or mental exhaustion combined with doubts about your competence and the value of your work."

That is the opposite of what I want to be feeling right now. Okay. So that's a little dramatic for my current state of mind. But as a 20-something trying to figure out my passions in life, it's easy to get a little stressed about an entry-level job.


So needless to say, I read 5 Ways to Stop Getting Completely Burnout at Work at just the right time.All of these tips are great reminders to give yourself a little break and celebrate small accomplishments to get yourself back in the grove.

Here are some of the highlights:

  • Focus on a single task.
    • Although as a female I am very proud of my ability to multitask - forget trying to to do it on days you are feeling a little down. Plug in your headphones, listen to some motivating music, and power through.. one thing at a time.
  • And while you are at it, start with the small things.
    • Make a list of a few things you want to get done in a day. Tackle the easiest items first. It will make you feel so much better about the day just by being able to cross a few things off the list!
  • When all else fails, get away from it all. 
    • The article takes this one a little far, saying it's time to call it quits. But really even taking a few days to yourself can do the trick. Turn off your work phone, don't check your email, and just get away from it all. 
What are your tips for avoiding burnout? How do you help yourself feel rejuvenated and ready for the workweek? Comment below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment