Tuesday, June 17, 2014

PTT: Goal-Setting for the Millennial Mind

Professional Tip Tuesday
Why is goal-setting so scary? My very first annual review is coming up soon, and along with that - we have to set our 'annual imperatives'. Oh boy, am I struggling with this daunting task. Thinking about goals for too long could scare anyone.. at least a little.

But the 'millennial mindset' makes it even harder to form that 'What's next?' question into (the very intimidating) SMART goals. Our generation has constantly been told that we can do anything - so no wonder it's difficult to put all of those possibilities into a just a few goals!

So how can you set goals in your first year of the real world?
I have learned so much in my first year as a working gal. But a year doesn't make me a seasoned vet. I still have so much to learn - and all of it has to do with setting goals.
My ultimate career goal.
Access Dubuque asked what my dream job was at a college career fair. 
So when Goal-Setting has you down...
Think about what you are good at, and what you have done well.
     - If you think about what you have succeeded at in your job, it might help you figure out what you enjoy about your job. This gives you a great place to start. Personally, I want to work towards a goal that lets me do the things I like to do!

Think about things you are getting good at.
      - The tasks that you are just starting to master are great for goal-setting. It's something you are already excited about - so set a goal around it, and use it to your advantage!

Think about what your company wants.
     - Look at your company's mission statement and goals. Use these as inspiration and drop some buzzwords into your goals. This will help you to develop goals that align with what your company needs!

Something to remember: Writing a goal isn't the same as committing yourself to a career path. This has been a scary exercise for me because I don't know what my 'next steps' are yet. But just by keeping these tips in mind, along with making small and attainable goals - I am able to see this as a 'one step at a time' sort of thing. Most importantly - there's still plenty of time to use that millennial mind and do 100 different things :)

What are your tips for writing career goals? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment