Tuesday, May 6, 2014

PTT: Real Friends

Professional Tip Tuesday
In almost every experience I have had, my work friends have become my best friends (see my ode to my O-Team friends here). From my high school days working at the movie theater, to my job with Iowa Orientation - I always end up wondering: How did that friendship happen?
Remember my Ode to my O-Team friends?

Let me tell you, I am a fairly bubbly and energetic person. I love meeting new people. And I thrive around my close friends. But put me in a room full of acquaintances, and sometimes I would prefer to curl up in the corner.

I just get so awkward and shy around those 'inbetweeners'. I hate fake conversations (i.e. the weather). And that's what you have to do with acquaintances. My problem is that I'm always worried about asking the right questions without feeling too nosy or overbearing.

How do you seal the deal on the move from acquaintances to friends?

That's the stage I am going through with my a lot of people on my project team. I really like them - but I just haven't figured out how to create a real friendship with them yet. So when I saw this article on Huffpost Women, I thought it offered some great ideas!

Here are the highlights of how to become more comfortable with acquaintances!
1. Be brave. 
- Asking questions isn't so bad. People like to tell you about themselves. It isn't offensive to ask them about more extensive topics than the weather.. at least that's what I am figuring out slow but sure! This is how you get to the good stuff - the stuff that truly creates a bond.

2. Potential friendships aren't as fragile as you think.
- This is something that's really hard for me. The minute I do something 'wrong' - I get 10x more awkward. It's the worst cycle. But the truth is, one thing can't ruin a potential friendship. Like the author says, a sincere apology can make all the difference!

3. Be yourself.
This last one, the most cliche, can be the most important for me. If I think back to those times when my acquaintances do become friendships - it's the moment that we can let go and completely be ourselves. Like the article said, don't try too hard to impress. People like real people.
My 'Real Friends'
My Orientation friends became my 'real friends' because of the kinds of efforts outline in that article. Work is a great way to bring people together - you all have a big thing in common. While getting to that next phase isn't easy.. it is definitely worth it. Those close friends in the workplace can make a huge difference!

How do you make that extra effort with acquaintances? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment