Tuesday, May 13, 2014

PTT: Mother Knows Best

Professional Tip Tuesday
With Mother's Day just behind us, I have been thinking about all I have learned from my beautiful mother. Her bright spirit guides me every day and has made a huge impact on my accomplishments. Those lessons from Mom will take you far both personally, and professionally.

So this weeks Professional Tip Tuesday is an ode to my dear mother. Especially starting this new part of my life, the following traits have been a great addition to the workplace.

Mom, thanks for teaching me to smile. 
I don't think my mom ever stops smiling. Moms are good at that. No matter what's going on, they always seem to find something to smile about. This has been a great thing for me in the professional world. People appreciate happy people! A friendly smile will immediately make someone feel more comfortable.
My mom and I grinning from ear to ear when we met Dolly Parton at a Nashville truck stop.

Mom, thanks for  teaching me empathy.
This is big, and a huge add on to the smiling thing. It doesn't matter who you are talking to - strangers, acquaintances, or friends - making someone feel like you care about them in the moment is something special. After watching my charismatic mama all these years, I could strike up a conversation with a shoe. And you had better believe that shoe will get my undivided attention!

Mom, thanks for teaching me to get excited. 
Enthusiasm is one of the best qualities my mom could have passed down to me. Her dynamic personality is contagious. When she is excited, everyone is excited. This has been an awesome trait for my professional life so far. People feed off that energy in the workplace, so showing just the slightest bit of happiness can make you much more enjoyable to be around.

My mom has taught me some pretty cool stuff throughout the years. But sometimes you don't realize some of the most special characteristics until you are older. So thanks, mama, for all you do. I see more of your traits in me everyday.

And sending lots of love to all the moms out there. Where would we all be without you? 

P.S. We didn't really meet Dolly Parton. That was a cardboard cutout.. did I fool you? :)

What have you learned from your mom over the years? Comment below!

1 comment: