Tuesday, July 22, 2014

PTT: There's More to Life

Along with my degree in college, I received a Certificate in Philanthropy and Fundraising. I have a special place in my heart for philanthropic organizations. People put so much time, energy, and passion into something they care about.. what's not to like about that?

So I got the certificate, did some volunteering, and was involved in all sorts of organizations on campus. Unfortunately, that whole sentence you just read was in past tense. Since graduating, the extent of my community involvement is limited.
On a Volunteer Spring Break - Helping at a Wild Cat Refuge in Arkasas with a friend from my trip!
When I saw this article pop up on Levo League today, it reminded me just how beneficial it is to be involved. If you can spare the time, a little philanthropic work can add so much to your life. Especially when the 8-5 grind can feel a little dull. 

But why get involved?
You are busy. I am busy. But finding that organization you want to be a part of can open so many doors. Here are my top 3 reasons to commit to an organization...

- Good for the soul-
This one is the obvious one. Volunteering can be kind of like working out. It can be hard to 'make' yourself do it, but you usually don't regret it once you get going. You end up feeling more energized and satisfied after you give back a little time. 

- Be more passionate-
Remember why I said I liked philanthropic organizations above? People who are volunteering love what they do. If you find an organization you can get behind, maybe you will discover some secret well of passion you didn't even know existed. Organizations are doing cool things every day to make a difference. It can be pretty empowering to be a part of that. And who knows, maybe you'll find something that really changes your path!

-The people- 
How do people make new friends and build a network? Common interests. If you become a part of an organization you are excited about, chances are you will meet other people that are just as excited. Being involved is one of the best ways to network. Who knows what opportunities could come out of it!

Where to begin..
So if you are ready to commit, idealist.org and volunteermatch.org are two great websites that let you search your community opportunities you are interested in. It definitely doesn't hurt to see what's out there! 

So what organizations have you been involved with in the past? Any advice? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment