Tuesday, March 11, 2014

PTT: Conquer the Tuesday Blues

Professional Tip Tuesday
Who likes Tuesdays anyway? I'd say they are the worst day of the work week. Monday usually isn't as bad as I think it will be. Wednesday is HUMP DAaaaY. Thursday is Friday Eve. And Friday is FRIDAY, finally!

But what do Tuesdays have going for them? ...Other than Professional Tip Tuesdays of course! :)

By Tuesday, the work week is in full swing. And Friday is too far away to be hopeful yet. If there was a study done, I bet most 'bad days' fall on Tuesdays.

I was having one of those days today. Everything was just a little harder than it should have been.

Well, lucky me.. I found an article today on HuffPost Women that can help ya beat any 'down' day. "What To Do When You're Feeling Defeated" offers 6 great ideas for putting things in perspective.

So for this week's Professional Tip Tuesday, I will summarize a few - but click the link above to check it out for yourself!

1. Make a list! 
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings on those 'off days'? I do! It makes it really hard to get back on track and be productive. 

  • Write down everything that is bothering you. Ed Catmull says getting it all out will allow you to see that a long list of 'problems' can be combined into a couple big things.
    • I totally believe in this one. Writing down what's on your mind helps to put things in perspective. Sometimes our brains go a little wild, and can turn a little problem into a daunting irrational fear.
2. Pick a productive hobby. 
- Do you ever lay in bed at night and think, What did I even do today? Especially in this technological world, it's easy to zone out on Pinterest and watch Netflix all day long.
  • Find something that you enjoy and allows you to see results. At the end of the day, you will have something tangible that YOU did.
    • I picked up knitting this year. It seemed like the perfect, after-work relaxation technique and I couldn't figure out why it was that great. Now I know, after a night of knitting - I can see progress. I feel like I accomplished something in the day
3. But wouldn't (little) you be proud? 
- So it's been a bad day. But that doesn't change all of my other accomplishments and good fortune- big and small!
  • I love this one. The author asks, "What would 6-year-old you think?" 6-year-old me would be pumped! I am doing juuust fine. Good friends, lots of adventures, and I could have pancakes every Sunday morning if I wanted! 
    • Even though, the author's comment about being able to get a puppy whenever I want is a sore subject... iiii wish. Someday, 6-year-old-self.
I'll let you read the article for the rest of the goods! But I thought those were some fun tips worth sharing. How do you get over your Tuesday Blues? Comment below!
And here's to a Happy HUUUMP DAAaaaY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment