Tuesday, November 5, 2013

PTT: Professional Prince Charming

Professional Tip Tuesday
In the book, Ask For It!, Linda Babcock talks about her experience advising graduate students. One day, a group of female students walked into her office and asked why only male graduate students got to teach their own courses.

Linda immediately contacted the dean. She found out the male students asked to teach the course. Female students never did and therefore, never got the opportunity.

Women do not typically call out their hard work or accomplishments. But if we don't advocate for ourselves, who will?


Little Princess Anna Faye


On a slightly unrelated note, I loved fairy tales when I was a little girl. My parents even told me a large birthmark on my right shoulder was the sign of a real princess. So I felt an extra special connection to Snow White and Cinderella growing up.

But with my girl-power-we-can-do-anything attitude, I never fully bought into that whole damsel in distress/Prince Charming thing.

So I really loved Sallie Krawcheck's idea that women work hard and expect their Professional Prince Charming to come to their rescue. In her comparison, she said we expect our prince (manager) to see our efforts and give us the praise and promotions we think we deserve.

Unfortunately there isn't always a happy ending if we don't work for it ourselves. This week's Professional Tip Tuesday is:

How to advocate for all of your handwork. 




Now do not be fooled, friends. I don't have this down yet. But here are 4 tips I have picked up on so far.

1. Be friendly. 
  • Think about how often you rant to your friends about how much you did at work. If you are comfortable with your coworkers and supervisors, it will be much easier to say "Hey, look at all of the stuff I did!"
2. Get over that impostor syndrome. 
  • Congrats,  you are a rockstar and you got where you are because of all of your hard work and efforts. Your resume, references, and interview proved it. The only one doubting you is you. Don't forget that. 
3. Take note.
  • The reason women don't usually say anything is because they either don't feel like it was enough OR they don't want to brag. When I am giving my supervisor the run-down of what I accomplished that day, I realize how helpful I have been and they usually do too.
4. Make it known. 
  • Tell your manager about great performance, praises, and your end-goals. Even if your Professional Prince Charming is out there, he/she probably isn't a mindreader. Help them help YOU and tell them what they need to know. 
Be your own Professional Prince Charming and let people know how much you do. It's not the easiest thing, but these tips are a great start. What do you do to advocate for yourself in the office? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment