Tuesday, October 29, 2013

PTT: Keeping up with Current Events

Professional Tip Tuesday
This past weekend my roommate, Laura, and I did "all the things". The catchphrase for the weekend captured our attempt to tackle a gigantic list of activities. We went to the movies, baked, cheered for our beloved Iowa Hawkeyes, did the Halloween thing, and rounded out the weekend with popcorn and Hocus Pocus.
All decked out 'Merica style for Halloween festivities.
"All the things" is a big part of weeknights and weekends. A full time job takes up a lot of free time. Especially living in a fun, new city with friends and a bucket list a mile long - I try to take advantage of the little bit of free time.

So to tie this all back to this week's Professional Tip Tuesday.. 

It can be tough to keep up on current events between work and "all the things". Even when I make an effort to catch up on the days happenings, I could spend all day trying to figure out the background info on one topic. And unfortunately, living in a bubble and neglecting the news isn't exactly acceptable.

Contrary to popular belief: No news, isn't always good news. 
But I recently found an email subscription that makes all of this a whole lot easier. In 2012, two girls started TheSkimm from their apartment. This daily e-newsletter is geared towards women and summarizes the ins-and-outs of the big headlines. Their webpage reads:
"We are an online newsletter that simplifies the headlines for the professional who knows enough to know she needs more. Our concept is simple: we read, you Skimm."
How great is that?

the Skimm
Being well-informed is a huge part of becoming a successful young professional. I highly recommend TheSkimm. Not only do I love the idea behind everything they are doing - but I also get to read up on all about the important stuff that's happening in about 5 minutes while I drink my morning coffee.

So keeping up with the news doesn't have to be a chore any longer thanks to TheSkimm! How do you get your daily dose of news headlines in your day? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment