Tuesday, November 19, 2013

PTT: The Modern Professional Dress

Professional Tip Tuesday
Professional dress is a complicated thing. As a college student, dressing up consisted of a nice crew neck sweatshirt and a cute scarf. Maybe a pair of earrings to accessorize if I was feeling particularly dressy that day.

But after 4 months in the business world, I am still questioning my professional wardrobe everyday.

It seems like men can throw on a nice shirt and a pair of khakis, and be good to go. Women have to put a lot more thought into their wardrobe. I actually thought I was getting the hang of it until the season changed.. Then it was game over and I had to start from scratch.

I have read all sorts of articles on how women today should dress professionally. What I've taken from them? A headache. Mixed messages about the do's and don't's of dressing conservative vs. modern.

So how can modern professional women appropriately dress for success today?

While this doesn't answer all the wardrobe questions, here are 3 tips that are a sure bet.
1. Follow the leader. - Dress to your office culture.
  • Pay attention to how your co-workers (and superiors!) dress and mesh their styles with yours.
    • My office has a jeans business professional dress code. Something I have noticed? People really push it with casual dress. So a pro-tip with this one is, keep in mind the old adage: Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. Try and stay a step ahead of the dress code.
2. Be comfortable, be confident. - Wear something that's feels like you. 
  • The more comfortable you are, the more confident you will be in what you are wearing. 
    • Keep Tip #1 in mind, but don't forget to add some of your personality into your outfit. I love a big warm, cozy sweater in the winter. And it can work with a nice blouse and a pair of slacks to keep it professional!
3. Shop smart. - Make it more simple.
  • Could you tell I am a little jealous of guys that can pull together their professional wear in no time at all? Well we can make it a little easier on ourselves with the same approach. 
    • Stock up your closet with the core pieces. A couple neutral slacks, cardigans, and maybe a blazer or two will allow you to throw on a professional outfit in a hurry. Plus these pieces almost guarantee to keep an outfit looking classy!

If you are interested in what sparked this Professional Tip Tuesday, check out this article on Levo.comCan Women Ever Win When it Comes to Style at Work? It seems like a silly thing to add stress to a woman's workday. But I guess I'm not alone in feeling the daily pressure of finding a balanced, business professional look that comes off just right to those around me.

The clothes in a young professional woman's closet should not stand in the way of her success. So how do you dress like a modern, young professional woman? What's your office style? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment