Tuesday, December 10, 2013

PTT: Effective Note Taking

Professional Tip Tuesday
On Friday I celebrated a very special birthday. It wasn't a particularly exciting number. I didn't do anything extremely out of the ordinary. But it was special just the same.

In the days leading up to December 6th, 2013, instead of preparing for a birthday bash I was planning a mini-pity-party. I was sure the first grown up birthday was going to be a bust. Silly me.
Good friends helped be ring in the birthday.
Every birthday I get this overwhelming feeling that I am the happiest and luckiest I have ever been. But then it happens again 365 days later. And that wasn't any different this year. Even in this new stage in life, I felt so loved. I am a thankful girl. 

Anyhow, how is everyone's week going? I have been helping out with a client event this week which made yesterday and today go incredibly fast.

My job this week has been to take notes. Sounds super glamorous doesn't it? Actually, it's not a bad gig. I just switched to a new team a few weeks ago - and it's been great way for me to learn more about our process.

This week's Professional Tip Tuesday is short and sweet.. something that has really helped me out the past couple of days!

Template for taking great meeting notes.

There is a true value to being able to take good notes. I was happy to receive serious kudos for my note-taking the past couple of days. I asked a few co-workers how they take effective notes before I started and I can't tell you how much it helped me.

So below is a 'template' for what to include on your next set of meeting notes. This is great whether the notes are for yourself or for others. There's a secret to effective notes: After your general notes, review what you wrote, and create another 'Meeting Snapshot' in a new section. This final section is to call-out the most important points from the meeting. Here are the sections I found most helpful!
---
  • Team specific follow-ups: 
    • Use this are for the most important items from the meeting for you (or the person you are taking the notes for) to follow up on soon after.
  • Decisions: 
    • Keep track of the big decisions that were made during the meeting.
  • Tabled Conversations:
    • In this section call out topics that need further discussion. This will serve as a good reminder of what subjects need to be brought up in the next meeting.
  • Additional Uncovered Information:
    •  I made this section to list important, extra information that might be uncovered during the meeting. It may not be a follow-up, but more of a 'good to know' piece.
---
These sections will make it much easier for anyone to scan them quickly. It also helps when you looking back at meeting notes to review. What are your tips for taking effective notes? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment